Barry’s Lane lies adjacent to the Clock Gate and serves as the town’s main square.
Dating back prior to 1841, Barry’s Lane was a warren of substandard housing, providing accommodation to many agriculture workers who drifted to Youghal c. 1817, when there was a collapse in agricultural prices.
Prior to that, the area had been referred to as Clock Castle Lane (1799), Court Lane (1796) and Custom House Lane (1799). By 1841, much of Youghal was a warren of substandard housing in backyards and lane ways. This particular collection of lanes was called Barey’s Lane, possibly from a the inhabitant at the front of this collection of lanes. Over time, it became known as Barry’s Lane.
Have more information on Barry’s Lane? Submit here!
Comments are closed